Platinum Guild International is dedicated to promoting platinum and its pure, rare and eternal qualities to the consumer and the jewelry trade. PGI has offices in each of the world’s major jewelry markets, providing information, assistance and education on all aspects of platinum jewelry.
Platinum Guild Study Looks to Define ‘Modern Love’
Two themes identified should be considered when developing future consumer-facing campaigns
In a recent study orchestrated by 360 Market Reach on behalf of Platinum Guild International USA, researchers posed an open-ended question to a pool of 1,000 fine jewelry buyers: what is ‘modern love’? The responses they received were as varied as the participants, yet two themes were clearly prevalent: Modern love symbolizes inclusiveness and equality, along with the timeless nature of true love. These themes were resounding across genders, as well as generations.
Modern Platinum Wedding Bands
In the vein of inclusiveness, many respondents shared that ‘love is love’, and nearly half of participants felt it does not discriminate by sexual preference, nor gender roles, but is “an equal, shared partnership between two people”. When catagorized by age groups, 53% of both Gen Zers and unexpectedly Baby Boomers felt that modern love was ‘characterized as a relationship that does not follow traditional gender roles or expectations’.
Jill Moynihan Helsel, Director of Marketing for PGI USA, shared “our research shows that while there has been an evolution in perceptions and acceptances of the definition, love itself, is timeless. Much like the jewelry that is worn to represent it.” She continued, “Platinum jewelry fits seamlessly into these love stories, as the metal’s durability, wearability and timelessness mirrors the characteristics of the strongest of ever-lasting relationships.”
To support these findings and thus be relevant to their consumers, retailers should be mindful of inclusiveness and timelessness in their relationship jewelry messaging, in both advertising and social media campaigns, as well as during direct client interactions. Campaigns should feature a myriad of consumer types, including same sex and multi-racial couples. Social media can celebrate and highlight a range of life’s milestones, while sales associates can support this messaging during an in-store experience.
While the percentages for many of the questions were flat among the different sectors of respondents, there was one anomaly when looking at the data generationally: 47% of Baby Boomers felt that modern love does not require a couple to be married to show a lifelong commitment, as opposed to 37% of Gen Xers, Millenials and Gen Zers. Boomers may not be as old school in thinking as previously thought.
Platinum Guild International Relaunches PlatinumLearning.com
A recent survey conducted by McKinsey and Company found that responses to the pandemic have speeded the adoption of digital technologies by several years, noting many of these changes are here for good. With a goal of always wanting to be on the forefront as an industry resource of key information, Platinum Guild International USA has relaunched their trade-focused e-learning and resource website, www.PlatinumLearning.com.
The website was redesigned for enhanced organization, focusing specifically on UX and UI, allowing the page to grow with resources for PGI USA’s retail partners.
In browsing the new PlatinumLearning.com, vistors will easily navigate across four main elements of the site:
- Online Sales Training – This mobile-friendly section allows users to engage with various video modules at anytime, anywhere. The courses, which are less than four minutes each, are packed with practical and useful information that can be immediately implemented. Sales professionals will be able to translate platinum’s unique qualities into specific benefits that will resonate with their consumers, thus yielding an increase in sales.
- Some of the specific module topics covered are Platinum’s History + Heritage, The ‘I Do’ Moment, and The 5th C: The Platinum Crown.
- Technical Education – Powered by GIA Quality Assurance Benchmarks, the section assists with the design and manufacturing of jewelry that will last for generations. Specifically, the focus is on four key areas:
- Ring Sizing – Accurately determining finger and ring size, and sizing rings with and without diamonds in the shank using a torch or laser welder
- Finishing + Polishing – Techniques for prefinishing, finishing, polishing and buffing for quality results
- Assembly + Setting – Features of platinum settings, including a removal and installation of settings, assembly of platinum products to gold, and best practices for wear
- Tools + Metal Identification – Characteristics of platinum alloys, and best practices for working with platinum, including toold and avoiding contamination
- Downloadable Content – A treasure trove of educational information, ranging in topics from:
- Website Content, including the Engagement Ring Buying Guide, Jewelry Insurance 101, Platinum Education + History, Platinum Vs. White Gold, and Platinum Care Instructions
- Social Media Content, housing a vast assortment of visual assets
- Banner Images and other Website Graphics, featuring a range of product categories, from bridal to fashion jewelry, from various platinum designers
All of the content is free of charge to use, with appropriate platinum messaging, and will help expand the metal education pages on retailer and designer websites.
- Resources – A library of updated consumer research that bridges the gap between the jewelry trade and the jewelry consumer, including the elusive GenZers and Millenials. Also included is information on marketing and social media best practices that can be easily adapted by retailers to use on their own platforms.
“We pride ourselves on being an easily accessible, of-the-moment information resource for the entire jewelry industry,” explained PGI USA’s Marketing Director, Jill Moynihan Helsel. “This role has never been more important given the fast trajectory towards digital that the pandemic has caused. It is our goal to provide useful, timely, relevant information and tools to meet the needs of various sectors of our industry as they adapt to these new times.”
For additional information on PlatinumLearning.com or assistance with content needs, please contact Mackenzie Keefe, PGI USA’s Marketing Coordinator, at email@example.com.