Consumers Look for Quality Pieces & Classic Styling
According to Research
New York –The Plumb Club Industry and Market Insights 2021, a jewelry study and consumer survey completed earlier this year, is providing retailers with a consumer ‘category and preferences’ roadmap that can help inform buying decisions during this year’s summer jewelry shows. Below are some of the consumer findings:
- Quality in a piece of jewelry is ranked #1, while price ranked #4, with consumers when asked what is important to them when purchasing new jewelry. 31% chose quality, 23% said design and 17% wanted uniqueness of the piece. Price came in with 16% and brand at 8%.
- Classic design elements are preferred by 36% of consumers, while vintage and light/minimalist designs tied for consumer preference, each at 17%. 15% preferred design elements that were fashionable & Avant-Garde and 8% wanted organic, floral & fauna.
- When it comes to a consumer’s choice on most important product categories, 32% said rings were most important, 23% prefer earrings, 19% necklaces, 7% bracelets, 5% chains and links and 5% pendants and charms.
- For self-purchase preferences, 60% of consumers state that they seek out jewelry that has their birthstone in the design and when it comes special occasions such as Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day, 74% of consumers like to pick jewelry that has specific messaging to match the occasion.
- 74% of consumers are interested in non-traditional jewelry materials. Colored gold and titanium are most preferred and 59% would consider, or have already purchased “smart” jewelry.
- For jewelry worn as talismans or jewelry with specific meanings the top choices, in order, are love messages, coins and medallions, zodiacs and religious symbols.
- Preferences vary greatly depending upon whether jewelry is a personal purchase or if it is being given as a gift. For pieces that contain love messages, 30% of consumers prefer to give this style as a gift, as opposed to 20% who would want that style in general. The disparity is closer for coins and medallions with 18% saying they like the category and 14% who would pick that style as a gift. For zodiacs 17% prefer the style in general and 14% say they would choose to gift a zodiac piece. When it comes to religious symbols, 15% say they would be a personal preference and 11% saying they would choose them as gifts.
- When choosing an organic design motif, a piece with an organic texture overwhelmingly takes first place with 51% of the vote. Floral motifs come in second with 36% and animal motifs at 13%.
These findings were part of an expansive multi-focused study initiated by The Plumb Club, a coalition of 45 best-in-class suppliers to the jewelry and watch industry. The study was conducted in the first half of 2021 with a sampling of 1,049 men and women from ages 25-60 with a focus on 10 test markets across the US. It was done with the help of Paola Deluca, The Futurist, and survey firm, Qualtrics.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.